Hahahah, yes, I’m like very, very happy. Because, finally, after quite a very long while, there finally exists an application (or program or software or whichever you may prefer to label it) which allows the iPhone to make VoIP (Voice over IP – meaning that you can make calls over the internet – like your MSN voice chat, or Skype).
Yes, I know, I know, as a Nokia N95 user too, such applications has been built-in to the phone – in fact, for almost *any* newer Nokia phones – you can make free* calls too, you know or not? Go into the options, and mess around – you’ll see something like “Internet Telephony” or “SIP” – and if that works, you can go sign up for pFingo and get 6 months of unlimited free outgoing calls, and.. once the 6 months up, sign up AGAIN to get trial again lah
Yes, if you got these few options, it means you can make internet calls for free. Duh!
Ok, back to the iPhone, long story short – I’ll cut the crap:
- 1. Data connection costs $$$ (You know the GPRS/3G Data connection – the one use to browse internet on your phone, is expensive!)
- 2. One fine day, SingTel (and other telcos) decided to provide “unlimited” traffic for like $10/month – because most of us, naive Singaporeans, obviously are not tech savvy – so only use for browsing internet, download a few images, maybe go to private websites….. and, like that. hahah!
- 3. Some bloody clever users figured out that: Hey, we could watch YouTube, send internet SMS and make internet calls to save on our phone bill!
- 4. Of course, this knowledge was limited to, as I said, clever/savvy people and majority of people dunno how to do it
- 5. Now that Apple has iPhone (and.. did you know that SingTel *pays* Apple shitloads of cash to sell its iPhone?) and that it’s SO easy to install applications, its EASY to make voice calls via internet?
- 6. So, if everyone “save” their phone bill – SingTel earn what? (in US – AT&T earn what?
- 7. Obviously, they make it damn difficult for you to call via internet, such as restricting you to wireless hotspots. PLEASE LAH. WHO GOES TO MCDONALDS OR STARBUCKS JUST TO MAKE/RECEIVE A CALL? MIGHT AS WELL DON’T CALL, RIGHT?
- 8. Fring, the software used to make internet calls finally came out last night, but can only make calls via WiFi (yes, means you must be the stupid fella in step 7 to stand outside McDonalds to make a call)
- 9. Some clever bastard cracks Fring to make it such that you can call anywhere, anytime, for FREE! HUAT AH! (Hokkien slang for, uh, “Let’s get rich!”… saving money =X)
SOOOOO, for the people who’s been reading this blog, and well, uhm, have an iPhone, you can grab the cracked Fring for iPhone 3G (and patched to enable calling over 3G from HERE).
(PS: Kelvin, being uber psychic and having super cool powers, will also predict that Dexter will be the first bastard who copies most/all of my post and publishes it on his own website. Wanna bet?)
Oh yes, how to install it.. Uhh, you will need a Jailbroken iPhone (you can download the tool called QuickPwn to jailbreak your iPhone/iPod Touch in less than 3 minutes – but you gotta update it via iTunes first by, uh, going into iTunes, plugging in your device and click update lah!).
Aiyoh, I’m not going to show you the geeky side of Kelvin here. You should really go read up on Jailbreaking and MobileInstallation stuff.
Here, lemme blind you with beautiful images:
Here are the stuff which can be used with Fring, notice that there’s Skype, MSN Messenger, ICQ (oh yea, my ICQ number’s 64514888 for those who’re interested – I’ve got an affinity with 888′s lah ), SIP (aka, almost ANY VoIP provider, Google Talk, blah blah)
Yes, it also means you can talk to your family in Australia for free or something like that.
Here, the contact list of one of my many MSN accounts. This one belongs to kelvin[at]yandao.com And yes, you can add me if you wish. I don’t bite, I don’t paw, I don’t…. wait, too much info. Hahah!
See, you can even choose to Chat or Call someone via MSN. Power right? If only the iPhone had front cam, then you can camchat with…. whoever you wish to – for whatever purpose you wish for. HAHA!
There, see, I’m chatting with Malcolm already. Poor Malcolm – he’s going to be famous after this.
Oh yes, did I mention, that this thing automatically takes you iPhone address book too? So now you can click to call ANY friend of yours for FREEEEE! (*cough* – thanks to Kelvin’s advice *cough*)
..and, the part which everyone wants to see, the keypad to call any number – notice that there’s no WiFi icon at the top, but rather the 3G (which means you don’t have to stand outside McDonalds, Burger King, Novena Square, Causeway Point, Starbucks, Subway, or some other ulu library to call).
Yes, I know you look silly.
And here it is! The call in progress to my other phone.
No, you can’t have my number if you’re going to bug me to fix viruses, worms, or other crappy, geeky stuff. You can go bug those mechanical people for that. For any other reason (such as lunches, dinners, and kopi*) – yes, I’ll give my number =X
* This is a clause with exception, because, uhm, anything is always applicable to pretty gir….. pretty great people, I mean. Yes, great people.
Behold, my N95 picking up the call… and missing it. BLAH.
See? 3-eights. ALWAYS. I told you, right?
Okay. Go explore, and knock yourself out. And well, be happy, most importantly. If it’s no fun, don’t do it, yea?
OH YES, one last thing… I have something brewing… Maybe some of you can smell what this is? *winks*
(click to see the larger size – it’s part of a MUCH bigger picture. but it’s not called a surrrprise for nothing, right?)
Well, if you guess it correctly, together with the features.. drinks, no matter how pricey, are on ME, Kelvin!